The Brydons

Scotland to Canada

Janet Hogg

Female 1817 - 1900  (83 years)


Personal Information    |    Media    |    Event Map    |    All    |    PDF

  • Name Janet Hogg 
    Born 2 Feb 1817  Hopehouse, Ettrick, Selkirkshire, Scotland Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Gender Female 
    Immigration 1829  Canada Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Died 8 Aug 1900  Galt, Waterloo Co., Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Person ID I2204  Brydon family tree
    Last Modified 15 Feb 2015 

    Father Francis Hogg,   b. Thirlestane, Ettrick, Selkirkshire, Scotland Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 1841, Dumfries Twp., Waterloo Co., Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Mother Margaret Brydon,   b. 1796, Ettrickhouse, Ettrick, Selkirkshire, Scotland Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 15 Jul 1860, North Dumfries Twp., Waterloo Co., Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 64 years) 
    Married 19 Apr 1816  Ettrickhouse, Ettrick, Selkirkshire, Scotland Find all individuals with events at this location 
    • "April 6th, 1816 "Francis Hogg of Thirlestane and Margaret Brydon Ettrickhouse both in this Parish gave up their names for proclamation in order to marriage." On April 19th, "being thrice proclaimed were joined in marriage Francis Hogg and Margaret Brydon Ettrickhouse.""
    Family ID F366  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

  • Event Map
    Link to Google MapsBorn - 2 Feb 1817 - Hopehouse, Ettrick, Selkirkshire, Scotland Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsImmigration - 1829 - Canada Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsDied - 8 Aug 1900 - Galt, Waterloo Co., Ontario, Canada Link to Google Earth
     = Link to Google Earth 
    Pin Legend  : Address       : Location       : City/Town       : County/Shire       : State/Province       : Country       : Not Set

  • Places
    Toronto, Hogg's Hollow
    Toronto, Hogg's Hollow
    Named after James Hogg. He married in 1825 then moved to York and bought a farm and a grist mill and operated a whisky distillery. He was considered the most successful of all the millers in the valley.

    In 1856 his sons John and William, subdivided their late father's estate under the name "Hogg's Hollow". The Hogg's Hollow subdivision included one hundred and forty-one lots however only a handful of houses were actually built at this time.

    Four of the original Hogg's Hollow houses are still standing. These include two former mill workers cottages, that were relocated in 1986 to 4150 Yonge Street, where they now serve as the entrance to the Auberge du Pommier Restaurant. The other two original houses are located at number one and number five Old Yonge Street. Both of these houses have undergone extensive renovations. The Jolly Miller tavern, circa 1857, situated at 3885 Yonge Street, and the George S. Pratt House, circa 1886, located at 17 Mill Street, are the other historic landmarks in this neighbourhood.