The Robert III Brydon era in Galt, 1843 to 1866
The farm was located in one of the rare Carolinian forest areas in Canada. Its deciduous trees encircled with stubborn strong vines must have added to the task of clearing the land. Robert III Brydon’s farm on Concession VIII was mostly uneven land featurig steep hillsides of Stony till with depressions related to glacial deposits and subsequent erosion.
Riverside School, built in 1858 on land purchased from Robert Brydon. Robert was willing to sell the land for 1 dollar but Mrs. Brydon refused to agree until won over when the school trustees presented her with a silk dress, “a good one that cost $4.00.” Many of the Stalwarts attended.
The Riverside School in 2015.
James Turnbull described its surroundings (ie. The Brydon farm) as “…an ideal spot for a school. The hills around made for good sleighriding, the woods for games of foxes and hounds.”
The 1861 census tells us that there was a stone house built on William II’s property. We found vestiges of a stone house reportedly built in 1848, located very close to the property line dividing lot s2w north and south.
The Brydon tombstone in Mount View Cemetery in Galt.