The Brydons

Scotland to Canada

Biggar, Lanarkshire, Scotland



 


Notes: from Wikipedia...
In the 14th century, the Fleming family were given lands in the area by Robert the Bruce, whose cause they had supported. The Flemings built Boghall Castle, visible as a ruin until the early 20th century, but now only represented by a few mounds. The town continued to grow as an important market town, and in 1451 the town became a burgh. The market place remains the central focus of the town. The kirk was rebuilt as a Collegiate church in 1546, the last to be established before the Reformation of 1560. The Flemings found themselves on the wrong side in the 16th century, when they supported Mary, Queen of Scots, and their lands were given over to the Elphinstone family.

OpenStreetMap

City/Town : Latitude: 55.6241437, Longitude: -3.5241015


Media

Places
Biggar, Scotland
Biggar, Scotland
Taken from the western slopes of the Hartree Hills looking north towards Biggar.

photo by Norrie Adamson

Birth

Matches 1 to 3 of 3

   Last Name, Given Name(s)    Birth    Person ID 
1 Hay, Elizabeth  1837Biggar, Lanarkshire, Scotland I13162
2 Smith, Elizabeth  27 Apr 1777Biggar, Lanarkshire, Scotland I1111
3 Wilson, Christina  22 Jun 1829Biggar, Lanarkshire, Scotland I11793

Died

Matches 1 to 1 of 1

   Last Name, Given Name(s)    Died    Person ID 
1 Brunton, Margaret  1860Biggar, Lanarkshire, Scotland I3936